Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Diabetes is a disease which can ruin your life if not cared properly in time. It basically affects the way your body handles glucose in your blood. If you are suffering from type 2 diabetes, then it means your body does not use insulin properly. Over the time, your body can’t make enough insulin to keep your blood glucose at normal levels. Basically the combination of Genes and extra weight cause type 2 diabetes. According to experts on diabetes self-management, there are some tips to manage and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Limit yourself to two standard alcoholic drinks a day. Alcohol is high in calories and can lead to weight gain and increase a risk of diabetes. Cider, sweet wines and some beers are best avoided as they can have high sugar or carbohydrate content.
- Drink water, coffee or tea instead of fruit juice and fizzy drinks. Sugar-sweetened beverages including smoothies – increase the risk of diabetes.
- Eat at least three serving of green leafy vegetables every day. These contain vitamins, fiber and are very low in calories. Starchy vegetables, such as potatoes are best eaten in moderation as they can have the similar effect to sugar in leading to the rapid rise in blood glucose. Eating more than three pieces of fruits a day does not appear to protect from diabetes.
- Snack on a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts or unsweetened yogurt, Biscuits, chocolate bars and cakes are high in sugar and fat.
- Choose poultry, fish or lean white meat. Red and processed meats are associated with increased risk of diabetes and some cancers, fresh, unprocessed meat is preferable to ready-made of “fast food” meals.
- Buy whole grain bread, rice, and pasta. White bread and rice turn into glucose rapidly; excess consumption of white rice is associated with diabetes risk.