Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cabbage rolls are a popular and tasty Ukrainian dish. Over 100,000 Ukrainian Canadians live in Manitoba, where every eighth person is of Ukrainian descent. Use Canadian-produced bacon and lean ground pork for best quality and taste.
Per serving (2 cabbage rolls): about 365 calories, 21 g total fat (8 g saturated), 27 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate (2 g fiber), 460 mg sodium
Ingredients [ For 4 to 6 people ] [ Preparation time : 25 minute – Cooking time : 3h15 minutes ]
- 1 large green cabbage
- 3 slices Canadian-produced bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) lean ground Canadian pork
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) long-grain rice, cooked
- 1/2 Tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 10 oz (284 mL) can tomato
- soup Sour cream (optional)
- Cut the core out of cabbage and pour boiling water into the cut until cabbage leaves begin to separate.
- Separate the leaves carefully and choose 12 perfect ones. Put them in a large bowl and cover them with boiling water.
- Let stand about 5 minutes or just until they are limp enough to roll easily.
- Lift leaves out of the water and drain. Any remaining cabbage leaves can be used to line the baking dish to prevent sticking/burning. In a skillet, fry bacon until crispy, and set aside.
- Drain most of the fat from the skillet, reserving about 1 tsp (5 mL). Sauté the onions in the reserved bacon fat, until golden.
- Combine raw pork, cooked rice, onion, and pepper. Crumble the bacon into small pieces and add to the mixture.
- Divide mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves and tucking in the ends, wrap the leaves around.
- Lay cabbage rolls, seam-side down, in a cabbage-lined (or greased) baking dish.
- Pour can of tomato soup over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover tightly with foil and cook for 3 hours in 300°F (150°C) oven.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.
Enjoy it !!