Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Slow Cooker Porcupine Meatballs are hearty and delicious meatballs filled with rice and served with a rich tomato sauce. This is a classic meal that the family will love…
Ingredients [ For 2 to 4 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 20 minutes ]
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- ½ cup white rice
- ⅓ cup white onion, peeled (cheese grater) or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (15 ounces EACH) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- Optional: fresh parsley
- White/Brown rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to broil (550 degrees F.) Line a large tray with tin foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, white rice, grated white onion, minced garlic, large egg, seasoned salt, pepper, and dried basil. Knead the mixture until just combined avoiding over-mixing (makes the meatloaves denser)
- Form meatballs by tightly squishing the mixture together until a tightly condensed meatball are formed (I like to use a cookie scoop for size consistency and ease). Repeat until all of the mixtures is used up.
- The mixture should make around 20 meatballs.
- Place all of the formed meatballs on the tray, generously spritz with cooking spray, and then broil in the oven for 3 minutes per side (6 minutes total).
- This helps ensure they don’t break apart in the crockpot. Remove.
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add the water, both cans of tomato sauce, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir.
- Layer the meatballs on top (I used a 6-quart slow cooker) of the tomato mixture. Spoon the sauce over.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours (watch carefully if you have a slow cooker that cooks a lot hotter than most).
- Remove from the slow cooker and serve over a bed of white rice.
- Garnish with salt and pepper if desired and freshly chopped parsley to taste.