Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Today we share a homemade, soothing muscle rub which is very simple to prepare at home, using a few simple ingredients that are probably already found in your kitchen. It indeed works wonders for muscle and joint pain and is definitely worth giving it a try!
Why Cayenne Works for Muscle Pain
- Cayenne contains capsaicin, a compound that stimulates the release of ‘substance P’ in the body. This substance is released from the inflammatory cells of the immune system as well as the nerve cells. It is best known for its role in aiding the body perceive pain and in inducing an inflammatory response.
- Cayenne also has the ability to dilate blood vessels, allowing for more anti-inflammatory cells to reach the affected area. When ‘substance P is released and depleted as in the case of regular application of cayenne, the entry of pain in the area increases. This is known as pain desensitization.
Beyond The Cayenne
In addition to cayenne, this rub is also packed with additional ingredients that help relax tired muscles and alleviate pain.
Coconut oil: It nourished the skin and serves as the ideal base for this rub due to its antimicrobial properties. It has been scientifically shown to relieve pain and provide anti-inflammatory properties, too.
Raw cocoa butter: It also nourishes the skin and acts as a powerful antioxidant agent whose properties can be absorbed by the skin along with the beneficial herbs.
Ginger: This herb has been long used in both Traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. When used in a muscle rub, it helps improve blood flow and thus allow new blood to enter the area. Consequently, it brings new immune cells that eliminate the ones that have done their job in the area.
Turmeric: Similar to ginger, this spice is also known for its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. It works to reduce swelling and keep inflammation under control.
Peppermint Essential Oil: It contains menthol, a compound that is used to relieve pain, relax the muscles, and heal muscle soreness. It works great when combined with ginger, as ginger brings new blood to the area, while peppermint oil moves the blood along to eliminate waste.
In addition to using this rub, make sure you also rest the area, drink plenty of water, and take turmeric capsules for pain reduction and healing.
Cayenne Muscle & Joint Rub Recipe
- 4 oz. glass jar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup beeswax
- ¼ cup raw cocoa butter
- 2 Tsp. organic Cayenne powder
- 1 Tsp. organic Ginger powder
- 1 Tsp. organic Turmeric powder
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Mix the coconut oil, beeswax, and cocoa butter into a glass container and place it into a saucepan with 3-inches water
- Simmer the water, stirring the mixture until the ingredients are completely melted
- Add the cayenne, ginger, and turmeric powders and stir for a few minutes
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add the peppermint essential oil in the mixture
- Transfer the mixture into a glass jar and let it cool down prior placing the lid on the top
- Use it as needed