Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Julia Child’s Creamy Chicken + Mushroom (also known as Supremes De Volaille Aux Champignons) lightened up and cooked in one skillet! A gourmet meal ready in less than 30 minutes.
Ingredients [ For 2 to 4 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 20 minutes ]
- 4 boneless and skinless medium-sized chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (original recipe: 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter (original recipe: 5 tablespoons full fat)
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions/shallots or green onion
- 250 g | 1⁄4 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1 ⁄4 cup port wine or dry white vermouth
- 1/2 cup (125 g | 4 oz.) reduced fat cream cheese at room temperature (original recipe: 1 cup whipping cream)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk or skim milk (extra addition)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly minced parsley
- 1-2 cups broccoli (extra addition), cut into florets and steamed (optional)
Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F degrees.
Rub the chicken breasts with drops of lemon juice and season lightly with salt and pepper. Heat the butter in a heavy, oven-proof casserole (I used a skillet), about 10 inches in diameter until it is foaming. Stir in the minced shallots or green onion and saute a moment without browning. Then stir in the mushrooms and saute lightly for a minute or two without browning. Sprinkle with salt.
Quickly roll the chicken in the butter mixture and lay a piece of buttered wax paper over them. Cover casserole (skillet) and place in hot oven. After 8-10 minutes, flip chicken and cook for another 8 minutes in the oven. Alternatively, brown chicken fillets on each side until golden; then cover and place into a preheated oven to continue cooking for a further 8 minutes until cooked through.
Remove the chicken to a warm platter (leave mushrooms in the pot) and cover while making the sauce.
To make a sauce: pour the stock and wine in the skillet with the mushrooms. Boil down quickly over high heat until liquid is syrupy. Add in the cream cheese, breaking it down with your wooden spoon. Cook over low heat until it turns into a thick cream. Gradually add in the milk, 1/4 cup first, stirring through the cream until thickened. Repeat with remaining 1/4 cup of milk until the creamy sauce thickens (add a little more milk if the sauce is too thick). Off heat, taste for seasoning, and add drops of lemon juice to taste. Add in the broccoli (if including it) and pour the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.