Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Authentic sautéed eggplant spread. Baklazhannaia Ikra means “poor man’s caviar.” The ingredients of this eggplant recipe are simple but flavors are spectacular…
Ingredients [ For 10 to 11 people ] [ Preparation time : 25 minute – Cooking time : 55 minutes ]
- 2 lbs eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers (preferably red, yellow, or orange), diced
- 2 to 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Canola oil or extra light olive oil to sauté
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium/ high heat and add 3-4 Tbsp oil.
- Add eggplant and saute, stirring occasionally until softened and moist (15-20 min), adding more oil if needed to keep it from sticking to the bottom.
- At the same time, in a separate large skillet, add 2 Tbsp oil, diced bell pepper, grated carrots and finely diced onion.
- Saute until golden and softened (10-15 minutes). Combine with eggplant mixture
- Add diced tomatoes, season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper, reduce heat to low,
- cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- It is done when there is no liquid pooling and the mixture is a spreadable and still somewhat chunky consistency.
- Serve eggplant spread with crusty bread.