Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
These crock pot great northern beans are made with dry beans and an assortment of vegetables. It’s a versatile recipe, and you can easily change the seasoning vegetables. Or add some ham or bacon to the beans….
Ingredients [ For 2 to 4 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 20 minutes ]
- 1 – 16 oz package dried northern beans
- 3 -4 meaty ham hock, shank or meaty ham bone (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 – small onion, diced
- water, enough to cover beans
- 1 – packet Goya ham flavored concentrate, optional but so good
- 1 – bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 – 1/3 – cup light brown sugar
- Sort the beans for any pebbles and rinse them under cold water. Soak the beans for 3 hours in a large bowl. Drain and rinse the beans.
- Add the rinsed beans, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf and ham shanks, hocks or ham (chopped into large chunks) into the crockpot.
- Add enough water or water and broth to cover the beans by about 2 inches. (about 6 – 8 cups) add the Goya ham concentrate if using.
- Cover and cook on high for the first hour then turn the crock pot to low and cook for an additional 4 hours or until the beans are tender and a bit creamy.
- Remove the ham shanks or hocks and pull off all of the meat. Remove the bay leaf and throw away. Return the meat to the crockpot and add the brown sugar.
- If there is a lot of juice in the cooked beans I will remove about a cup of the juice before adding the brown sugar.
- It all depends on how thick or thin you want the beans. Lightly mix to combine. Ladle into bowls and serve.