Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
This fantastic basic recipe for homemade thick custard is the most popular recipe on our site! Master it and you can use this to fill cakes, tarts, profiteroles or eclairs.
Ingredients [ For 2 to 4 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 10 minutes ]
- 600ml Milk
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/4 cup caster sugar, extra
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- Bring milk, sugar and vanilla bean and seeds to a simmer in a saucepan. Take care not to boil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together extra sugar and yolks, then whisk in cornflour to form a paste. Carefully whisk about 1/2 cup hot milk mixture into egg mixture until incorporated, slowly whisk in remaining hot milk. Continue whisking until smooth and combined.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and whisk over low heat until very thick and custardy, bring to the boil, then immediately remove from heat. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish and cover with plastic wrap pressing the plastic directly onto the surface of the custard to avoid a skin forming. Refrigerate for several hours until cold and set. Makes 500ml.
- Before using to fill cakes, place the set custard into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed until thick, smooth and glossy. The custard is now ready to fill cakes, profiteroles, eclairs or cannoli.
Enjoy it !!