Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Creamy Shrimp Mushroom Linguine! Pasta, shrimp in a creamy low fat sauce without losing the creamy flavor! You won’t miss the heavy cream. It’s possible…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 7 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 20 minutes ]
- 12 ounces (350 grams)linguine pasta (dry weight)
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced brown mushrooms
- 1 pound 500 grams fresh shrimp (prawns) without shells, washed and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to suit your tastes)
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika (or smokey)
- Salt to season
- 1 8 ounces (250g) pack cream cheese at room temperature (low fat or fat-free are fine to use)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup light Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt to season, if desired
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, to garnish
Cook pasta according to package instructions in a pot of salted boiling water; drain and rinse reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Set it aside for later.
While pasta is boiling, heat a large frying pan/skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan and fry half of the garlic for about 30 seconds; add the onions, and continue sautéing until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry while occasionally stirring, until the mushrooms have browned. Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of water and cook them for a further minute (they will create a beautiful gravy with their natural juices). Transfer mushrooms to a plate and set it aside (keep any liquid leftover in the pan).
To the same pan, add the remaining oil. Saute remaining garlic until fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook until they just begin to change color. Add the pepper flakes, paprika, and salt.
Cook while occasionally stirring for a further 1-2 minutes to combine all the flavors in the pan, Add the mushrooms to the pan, stirring them through the flavors in the pan. Transfer the shrimp/mushroom mixture to the same plate the mushrooms were on.
Add the cream cheese and milk to the same pan and bring to a gentle simmer while stirring occasionally, while breaking up the cream cheese. (Don’t worry if it’s lumpy. The more it simmers, the more it turns into a creamier consistency.) Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, then add the cheeses. Once the cheese has melted through, taste test and season with a little salt (if needed.)
Add the shrimp/mushroom mix along with the pasta into the creamy sauce, stirring everything through for a further 2 minutes on low heat. Add the reserved pasta water — 1/4 cup at a time — only if needed or until reaching your desired consistency.
Garnish with parsley and serve!