Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
This ultra creamy and delicious soup is packed with flavor. Italian sausage, cheese-filled tortellini, vegetables, and herbs. 30-minutes from start to finish…
Ingredients [ For 6 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 20 minutes ]
- 1 pound hot or mild Italian Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 package (16 ounces) cheese tortellini
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pint (2 cups) half and the half or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to preference
- Optional: crusty baguette
In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook & crumble the sausage until browned. Transfer the cooked sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate and dab with another paper towel to get rid of the grease. Set aside.
Keeping the pot at medium-high heat, add in the olive oil along with the diced onion, and peeled & diced carrots. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and saute for one more minute, stirring occasionally. Add in the butter and allow to melt.
Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly add the chicken broth or stock, whisking to combine. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer and thicken for about 5-8 minutes.
Add the cooked sausage, Italian seasoning, tortellini**, salt & pepper (to taste, I add about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper), spinach, and half & half or heavy cream to the pot. Stir and then simmer or medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the spinach is wilted and the tortellini is cooked through.
Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan and crusty baguette, if desired.