Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
These coconut shrimp are coated in plenty of coconut flakes for superior crunch and subtle tropical sweetness. The easy 2-ingredient dipping sauce will win you over. See blog post for make-ahead options….
Ingredients [ For 8 to 10 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
For Coconut Shrimp
- 1 lb large shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and deveined with tails left on
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1½ cups sweetened shredded coconut*
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Light olive oil, vegetable oil or coconut oil
For Shrimp Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- ¼ cup apricot preserves or apricot fruit spread
- Rinse shrimp in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Set up 3 shallow bowls. In the first, stir together ¼ cup flour, ½ tsp garlic powder, and ½ tsp salt. In the second, beat 2 eggs with a fork.
- In the third, combine 1½ cups coconut flakes and ½ cup panko breadcrumbs.
- Dredge shrimp in flour then dip in beaten egg and finally dip in crumb mixture using your hands to press the coconut crumb mixture onto your shrimp.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Once all shrimp are breaded, either sauté right away or see make-ahead options below.
- Place a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add enough oil to generously cover the bottom.
- Once the oil is hot, add shrimp and sauté 2-3 minutes, flip and sauté another 2 min until golden brown on both sides and shrimp are firm and pink.
- Cook in batches and don’t overcrowd the pan.
- For the Sauce, stir together ¼ cup sweet chili sauce with ¼ cup apricot preserves and serve with coconut shrimp.