Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
This comforting Classic Macaroni and Cheese is a family favorite you’ll want to make again and again…
Ingredients [ For 10 to 11 people ] [ Preparation time : 15 minute – Cooking time : 45 minutes ]
- 5 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
- 1 lb. macaroni
Panko Crumb Topping
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish or two smaller ones, I usually stick one in the freezer to have at a later date.
- Just thaw and bake accordingly. Toss the panko with the Parmesan and butter, set aside.
- Fill a large pasta pot with salted water and heat over high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk.
- Then melt the remaining 6 Tbsp. butter in another medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When the butter bubbles, add the flour and whisk, cooking for 1 min.
- While whisking slowly pour into the hot milk a bit at a time until all is incorporated.
- Let the mixture thicken and bubble while whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat and add the salt, nutmeg, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Whisk well.
- Then add the 5 cups of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan, set cheese sauce aside but stir occasionally so the mixture doesn’t form a skin on top.
- Once water is boiling in the large pasta pot add the macaroni and cook until al dente.
- You really want it underdone as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce. Pour mixture into the prepared dish or dishes.
- Sprinkle with the panko crumbs.
- Bake for 30-45 min. until browned on the top and bubbling. Let cool for 5 min.